Wednesday 4 May 2016

Dragon Ball Evolution screenwriter, Ben Ramsey, apologizes to fans for the bad movie

Just saying the title of Dragon Ball Evolution could make the most loyal and dedicated Dragon Ball fans from around the world cringe, as the movie was just that bad. The movie has not just gotten hate from fans of the franchise, but also film critics and casual movie fans, scoring only 14% in Rotten Tomatoes. Because of its reputation for being terrible, the film will forever be associated with bad Hollywood adaptations of Japanese works.


maxresdefault


Author Derek Padula, who is the scriptwriter for Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope, recently asked the scriptwriter for Dragon Ball Evolution, Ben Ramsey, for an interview for his (Padula’s) upcoming book, USA DBZ. Padula was expecting a straight-up interview, however, he was not expecting Ramsey to apologize for the terrible movie.



“I knew that it would eventually come down to this one day. Dragon Ball Evolution marked a very painful creative point in my life. To have something with my name on it as the writer be so globally reviled is gut wrenching. To receive hate mail from all over the world is heartbreaking. I spent so many years trying to deflect the blame, but at the end of the day it all comes down to the written word on page and I take full responsibility for what was such a disappointment to so many fans. I did the best I could, but at the end of the day, I ‘dropped the dragon ball.’


I went into the project chasing after a big payday, not as a fan of the franchise but as a businessman taking on an assignment. I have learned that when you go into a creative endeavor without passion you come out with sub-optimal results, and sometimes flat out garbage. So I’m not blaming anyone for Dragon Ball but myself. As a fanboy of other series, I know what it’s like to have something you love and anticipate be so disappointing.



To all the Dragon Ball fans out there, I sincerely apologize.



I hope I can make it up to you by creating something really cool and entertaining that you will like and that is also something I am passionate about. That’s the only work I do now.


Best,


Ben.”


Is an apology enough for the damage? Hopefully so, as many fans have commented that they have already forgiven him, including a few hardcore ones. Dragon Ball creator, Akira Toriyama, who expressed his dissatisfaction with the film, is yet to react to Ramsey’s apology.


Don’t miss a single update from SGCafe! Follow us on Twitter: @SGCafe


Read more on your favorite anime  here on Sgcafe! Also join in on the community’s discussions at http://forums.sgcafe.com


Source: The Dao of Dragon Ball



Dragon Ball Evolution screenwriter, Ben Ramsey, apologizes to fans for the bad movie

No comments:

Post a Comment